Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Paris, Italy, or the Caribbean?

Dateline...Spring, 2006

It all began with one simple question from my husband.


“Don’t you think we should commemorate our 25th anniversary in a special way? How about a trip somewhere?”


Immediately, I said, “Yes, Paris!”

To which he immediately replied, “No, Italy,”


...and it went on from there. We talked and talked, and it eventually turned into an argument. Who argues about celebrating a long and happy marriage? We do! On and on it went. After much research and “peace talks,” we came to a decision. A Caribbean cruise. It was cheap, easy, and we could catch the boat about 15 minutes from home.


Deep down inside, I was SO disappointed in myself. I had dreamed of seeing the Eiffel Tower since I was a little girl. I knew Scott would take me if I really insisted, but truly, it was my fear that stopped the dream in its tracks. At this point in my life, "fear of the unknown" was my constant companion. I feared the language barrier, the money exchange, the expense, and the not-so-good reputation of the French.


A few months went by, and my oldest daughter and her husband came over to the house. They had an announcement...they were going to have a baby! Shock is not a strong enough word for my reaction. I blindly crossed the room to hug and congratulate them, but my mind was swirling. It's not that I wasn't thrilled, but my life did flash before my eyes. In bed that night, instead of picturing myself welcoming my new precious grandchild into the world all I was thinking was, “You are old. You are going to die soon. If you don’t go to Paris now, you never will.”


Two days later, I went to see "The Devil Wears Prada." I cried all through the last part, which was filmed all over Paris. Crying in a comedy? Who does that?


I had to get a grip on myself!


The next day, is what I call, ‘The Turning Point.’ I dropped my youngest at school, drove to the bookstore, and bought a Paris travel book. I poured over it for hours, and surfed the Internet. With pencil and calculator in hand, I priced the trip out on a sheet of paper. I had the plan, now all I had to do was convince my husband.


How did he react???? Stay tuned...


3 comments:

The World According to Libby said...

Were we separated at birth? Man we sound like we have exact personalities! I am dying to hear the rest of this story!!!!

Stephanie said...

Love how this is all unfolding in a story! I can't wait for the next chapter.

*The Beautiful Life* said...

Teri, I love you, girl.... thanks for finally doing it. See?

We really DO want to hear your "stories".... thanks, girl!

Ruth

Blog Widget by LinkWithin