Sunday, July 26, 2009

Dreams Are Made to be Followed

Naysayers :(


Paris has taught me many things about life, love, and dreams. One thing I never expected to encounter before going there on my first trip, were naysayers.  These are people that suck the air out of your balloon, before you’ve even had time to tie it off.


As friends and family heard about our impending trip, we heard all sorts of comments.  Let me list a few:


  • Why in the world would you want to go there?
  • The French are so rude.
  • It’s way too expensive.
  • You are crazy, go to Italy.  Italy is so much better.
  • Paris is dirty.
  • Don’t order beef, or you will get horsemeat.


Why did people want to squash my dream, before I even put head to pillow?  It was maddening!


My favorite was a well-meaning guy at church.  He told me this long, drawn-out story about a friend that just returned from Paris.  His friend had his wife and kids with him, and each day, it costs him $700 to feed a family of four!  



Would I never experience Parisian cuisine??

Even on rare occasions when you could find it, 'to go'?





That night, my head was a calculator.  If we spent only half that, our trip would be over in about 3 days!  I planned to pack peanut-butter crackers, so we could make it. 


Once it was all said and done, we went anyway.  If there’s one thing I want to get across to my friends in blogland, is do not let others talk you out of your dreams.  I have nothing against Italy, and I may go someday, but it was not “my” dream.  Be true to yourself.  I honestly feel God planted the dream in my heart, because of the profound impact it had on both Scott and I.  Could this have happened in Asia? Africa? Australia? 


Maybe...but I doubt it.  


Paris is Paris, that's all there is to it.  It is full of magic, mystery, and mystique.  In my next post, we’ll at least get on the airplane, I promise!  


Oh, by the way...at some point I will be giving money-saving travel tips.  It can be done for way less than you think.  And no, we never had to rely on peanut-butter crackers!

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

The best bargain in Paris is breakfast. I could not believe that for one euro I could purchase a croissant of such intense quality. Looking back, I would not have eaten breakfast ever at our hotel. The food was much better at the patisseries and cafe's. And MUCH less expensive.

Whatever you are eating there in the photo...is probably delicious!

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Teri,
The people in France are some of the kindest I've met. I'm glad you didn't let anyone squash your dreams, or as I say "quash them" a family joke. The best one I heard was someone asking "Can you get American food in France?".... As Annie Lennox sings.... Why?
Happy Sunday!
~Tracie

TeriGigi/Girl Meets Paris said...

We are eating crepes bought right by the Jardin des Tuileries, (yes, I had to Google that spelling).
We love the croissants, pain de chocolate and my ever favorite...palmiers... Yum!
We saved lots of money because we stayed in an apartment vs. a hotel. More on that in later posts.

The French are the nicest :) Love to hear someone in agreement!

My husband just yelled from the next room, that the Tour de France is playing, and they are at the end on the Champs-Elysees. SO exciting..must watch TV now for some more dreaming....

~Sigh............

*The Beautiful Life* said...

Oh Teri! I love this post! SO true about putting the earplugs in when it comes to those nasty nay-sayers.

And I was SO glad to hear you did not have to fall back on the crackers! You, my dear, are SO not a peanut butter crackers girl! ;)

Great seeing you today and THANK YOU so much for my "numbers" pics!!!

XOXO
Ruth

Pug1 said...

Good for you! It depends on your mindset on how good of a time you have! You'll meet rude people everywhere...it's how you react to the rudeness that impacts your holiday! I've traveled a wee bit but have not spent any time in paris....Lord willing someday! CHEERS! Michele

time worn interiors said...

Oh, Paris! I was there years ago and would love to go back! Glad you had a great trip!
Theresa

celiajuno said...

It always amazes me how many people have so many misconceptions of Paris and France. I am not made of money but I always manage to eat well in France. I also meet many wonderful people when I travel in France. I have received some wonderful advice about museums, shops, restaurants etc. from people I meet sitting on park benches or at the table next to me in a cafe.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin